The International Ballistics Society preceded by the International Ballistics Committee (IBC) since 1974. The IBS activities include organizing International Ballistics Symposiums, Publish Journals, Periodic Bulletin, Tutorials, and also providing awards and scholarships in the areas of Ballistics. The International Symposium on Ballistics is organised by International Ballistics Society every 18 months. The hosting of symposium rotates among the member countries; with every alternate venue is selected outside USA. The Society has conducted 30 International symposiums since 1974, which is participated by researchers from India and more than 40 countries take part regularly. The Society encourages young researchers to present their work and have the opportunity to discuss their results with leaders in their field.
The Society provides membership at various levels- Student, Ordinary, Senior, Fellow, life-time and corporate membership. It also provides awards for promoting Ballistics as mentioned below.
- Louis and Edith Zernow for Best paper that advances science of ballistics
- Rosalind and Pei Chou Young Author Award for Age 35 and under
- Neill Griffiths Award for Most significant contribution to shaped charge technology
- SABO Award for Best poster paper
- Student Awards for PhD student at time of ISB